Bafana Bafana star accused of threatening to shoot gatecrashers

Date: 12 Jun 2007
The Directorate of Public Prosecutions is considering whether to charge Bafana Bafana star Sibusiso Zuma following an altercation and allegations that he threatened to shoot a group of men at a party in Kokstad, in KwaZulu Natal. However, Umzimkulu police spokesperson Zandra Hechter said the football star had also opened a case against the men in the group, accusing them of common assault and defamation. The Bafana striker, who plays for German club Arminia Bielefeld, gave his version of events to the Kokstad police after the incident at a lodge in the town. The Directorate of Public Prosecutions said the decision on whether to proceed with criminal charges against the 32-year-old star had not been finalised. Zuma is attending a Bafana Bafana training camp in Joburg preparing for an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against the Congo on Sunday. He was spending the weekend with friends in Kokstad at the time of the incident. A witness said the conflict began when Zuma and his friends chased away a group of people who were not invited to a party organised by Zuma's close friends. Zuma had been "very annoyed" with the group and went indoors and returned with a firearm. The footballer then allegedly fired shots into the air. Scelo Mthethwa, one of the gatecrashers, said: "We were happy to have Zuma in our area, but the way he behaved was out of order." Mthethwa claimed Zuma and his friends were "intoxicated and extremely rude". Zuma was not available for comment yesterday. By Professor Ndawonde The Star 12/06/07 e1